Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Kayak Fishing on the Water

Wow got a chance to go out kayak fishing Monday April 21, 2014 with a group of two kayak anglers and my coworker.  We fished the California Delta, fishing out of White Slough. For my first time out my personal goal was to not tip over and end up wet, well with in less than 4 seconds that goal was crushed. I went over instantly as I was trying to gets in the boat. The anglers helped me out with the boat and keeping the mood positive. After draining most of the water out of the Jackson Kilroy I got back in sucesfuly and we all began the fishing trip.
The anglers were able to graph a school of stripers with in 1400 yard from the launch.
We were able to get 9 of them and 2 of the biggest went home for dinner.
I did not catch any stripers but I was not discouraged. I was just glad to be there and watch the action. Brian was throwing a top water and he had a big blow up. Derrick and Bam were throwing a swim bait. When the school dissipated, we headed further west to look for some black bass. I got my first kayak bass on a frog, and had two other blow-up but only hooked up on the first one.
This was also my first frog fish for 2014. I then got the drop shot out and started fishing my margareta mutilator Roboworms, the bite was good and I was able to catch 8 more bass no real size.
But my last bite was a different story it was a much better fish, it went to deep water and started pulling and spinning the kayak out to deep water. My drag was giving line as the fish went diving for the weeds. I was able to keep him on the line for 4-6 minutes and just as I saw the leader on the line the fish made one last dive down and broke the line at the knot. Without seeing it I would guess it was somewhere in the 4-6 lbs range. A bad break to ending to the day of fishing however, it was a great day on the water. When we got back to the launch our group loaded up and headed home the end result for the group we caught 25 fish total. I am looking forward to going out again. 

All anglers Please use a PFD when on the water. 

No comments:

Post a Comment