Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Father & Son Overboard

Jack and I took the kayak out for a little evening fishing last Thursday, 8/14/14, all looked good and fine got the boat in the water and started fishing. I hooked in to a nice 13.5" bluegill on a spybait (what can I say other than it works).
 As I'm trying to land the fish with a lot of treble hooks exposed I felt my seat slide out from under me. Splash  went me and my son over the starboard side of the boat. As I came up my son was already swimming towards me, I was not worried or panicked while I was submerged but definitely relived he was ok. Now the work and planning had to start I still had the my son, me, rod  and fish in the water and I needed to get my son rod and me back in the boat. So I opened the bail on the reel, kicked off my flip flops and grabed my son I pulled him to the boat and got him in. I put the rod in the rod holder, grabed my shoes, and look to see if any thing else was in the water, thankfully every thing was lashed or stayed in the boat. I did not want to try to climb in myself thinking my son would just fall back in. So got along side and started pulling it to shore got back in and reeled up the bluegill yep still on the line. We paddled back to launch ramp took some pictures and headed home.  As I straped the boat in I relized that the seat strap was losse so made sure to fix it for the next outing. Glad everything turned out for the best but please always wear you PFD's when boating things can happen so fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment